Tuesday, July 14, 2009

In which I become the Dominotrix


Internet, you'll never guess what foolishness I'm indulging in at the moment. It's insane.

Remember Domino magazine? Of course you do. It was Lucky for interior decorating.

I was never in love with Domino the way some of you were. Like Lucky, it frequently went off the deep end of quirky. And sometimes an entire issue would leave me cold.

But, as with Lucky, one magazine gave me instant access to super-cool secret insider sources. All of a sudden it was easy to find out how to get my mitts on great stuff. I didn't have to climb into a time machine, become 23 years old, move to New York, and get a magazine internship to do it. I could make all those underpaid 23 year old interns do it for me.

So when Domino stopped publishing, I mourned a little bit. And bought the Domino decorating book. But that just frustrated me. After all, a book can't provide the same kind of source information that a magazine can.

So I did what I always do in these cases; I went mental. I bought the entire run of Domino, from the Spring/Summer 2005 to March, 2009.



Right now, I plan to read through every issue and bask in the quirkiness. I'm also going to go through it methodically, and when I see something that looks great, I'll check out the website.

And then ... well, I haven't figured out what comes next. I plan to do something about what I find out, like post the link, or write up a separate entry for each source--I haven't figured it out yet. But for the time being, I'd like this blog to become one-stop shopping for Domino-flavored interiors ... as filtered through my admittedly preppy, traditional aesthetic.

3 comments:

  1. i subscribed from the beginning to the all to soon end. didn't save a single issue, but look forward to hearing what you have to say about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that Inès de la Fressange is on the cover of the one you've pictured above. I remember Inès de la Fressange from her heyday. That's a name I used to like to repeat to myself over and over in the most schmaltzy French accent imaginable..."Inès de la Fressssssssannnnge." Then, "Fromage!" and "Grenouille!" At any rate, the new blog looks good. But then again that's to be expected from la Buxom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I have the entire set too. I subscribed. Even better than Domino is the even shorter lived but slightly more attainable design found in BluePrint. It's a Martha mag that was as cool as Domino but with more DIY stuff.

    My favorite idea I ever got from Domino, I spray painted a cheap-o Lowes chandelier an aqua color and hung it in my bedroom. It looks so fab and I get compliments all the time.

    I can't wait to read more about your love affair with Domino.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete